Friday, February 20, 2015

"Speaking truth gives youth great power"

BCMS Parents;

One important announcement prior to my post this week:

We have an important Date Change.  Our Leadership and Personal Responsibility Assemblies for students have been shifted from February 24th to March 3rd. 

Parents who would like to attend can RSVP to the link here:  https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1cSUvnUd05Ml5v5cgvFicTGAa7AVjkzOtK6Fv8CZwbhI/viewform

"Speaking truth gives youth great power" 
inspired by David Suzuki's blogpost of the same title (linked below)

I had a wonderful High School teacher (Mr. Gravel) my Senior year who taught my public speaking course.  I took a full course load so I figured this would be my one ‘gut’ course and to this day I’d swear it’s the one course that has done me the most good (from my senior year). 

Our first observation of Mr. Gravel was that he was intensely serious in a professional way about ensuring the integrity of the mission of his course. Before we could get scared or disappointed that the work load might have been more than we hoped he also showed us how what we would be learning would be fun, engaging, and personally inspirational.  The only speech he allowed to be irrelevant was our first so he could get a baseline for each student. 

Like most 18 year old males, I stayed in the ‘shallow end of the pool’ and thought my eloquence in speaking about the finer points of Yankees players was world class.  Little did I know how absolutely horrendous I was!

Two things proved this; the first was the topics that we selected to speak about and the second was how those topics made one feel about leadership, about responsibility and about being an 18 year old who was about to assume a step toward joining the ranks of the adult world.  I separate these to make an important distinction. 

Talking about Don Mattingly’s (baseball) hitting style, while relevant to my world, was not relevant to others’, and in no way could be considered to instill any sense of responsibility.  However, when I gave a speech about nuclear disarmament amidst the hey-day of the escalation between the United States and Russia (when there still was a Russia) I was surprised that my cheeks got red, that my hands shook, and that, as I am still sometimes prone to do, talked so fast I lost so much annunciation that many couldn't understand all that I was saying. 

If one wasn’t scared of nuclear war in the 80s s/he wasn’t paying attention.  More importantly, I chose this topic.  My teacher didn’t choose it for me.  The prompt our class was given was to speak about our greatest political, cultural, or social fear at any level of community organization.  

I spent hours upon hours researching (learning factual and historical information) without being graded for my research. We didn’t even have to do research.  It wasn’t a necessity of the speech.  The only goal, other than following a rubric for speaking mechanics and the organization of our speaking points, was to create an emotional response in our audience (my classmates).  I didn’t set out to do all this research. It just happened.  I got sucked in because of how much I enjoyed the process.

Long before I knew I’d be a teacher Mr. Gravel taught me so much about great teaching and about teaching students to find their voice.  Their real, authentic, genuine, impassioned, and not superficial voice.  It wasn't about 'cause of the moment activism' but rather about identifying how our fears, pride, and compassion caused us to resonate with world events.

As a tribute to the Mr. Gravel’s of the world I thought I’d share the message below that I sent to our District-Wide Green Team earlier today.  When we empower our students to great oration we send a force out into the world whose impact is amazing.

Happy Friday and have a great, hopefully warm, weekend.


...my note to the Green Team...
Good morning everyone,

I thought I’d forward the attached (see link below titled "Speaking truth gives youth great power") because it’s a nice nexus between our Green Team’s mission and our educator mission of serving children.  Perhaps more inspirationally it reminds us of what great things children can lead when entrusted with leadership!

I agree with the premise that when children give impassioned speeches to adults on serious cultural issues, it causes an emotional response and greater engagement by those adult listeners.  I think I know why that is, but I won’t share because I am not sure.  What I do know however is the response by adults is profoundly different when they hear this message from a child. 

If you need a little inspiration check out the links in the article to see some great (child) orators!  For greater ease I have copied two links below.

Mike

“If a child on the streets (of Brazil) who has nothing is willing to share, why are we, who have everything still so greedy?”
Severn Cullis Suzuki, age 12, 1992 Earth Summit in Rio

Severn’s speech

Ta’Kaiya Blaney’s speech

The rest can be viewed here:


Next Week's Calendar
Monday, Feb 23
  • Welcome Back!
Tuesday, Feb 24
  • Late Buses
  • BCCF Meeting 6:30
Wed, Feb 25
  • Late Buses
  • Staff Character Committee Meets 3:00
  • BOE meets 7:00
Thurs, Feb 26
  • Late Buses
  • Student PAC meet 3:00
  • BOU spelling Bee 7:00
Fri, Feb 27